PS21 2017 Photography Internship Program Application
The PS21 photography internship gives the intern a chance to expand their knowledge of the art of photography and develop a practice in the field of dance photography.
PS21 presents four to five dance companies as part of the Chatham Dance Festival throughout the month of August. The intern will have the extraordinary opportunity to take photographs of these acclaimed professional dance companies in rehearsal, during company classes, and in performance. The intern may choose whether to focus on one particular aspect of the Dance Festival or to experiment with a variety of approaches. The internship culminates in a final project which may be a public exhibit or other public sharing of work made during the internship.
Photographer David Lee is the PS21 photo internship mentor. David will provide background on the history of photography, help the intern set goals for the project, give ongoing feedback on the intern’s work and give input on shaping the final project.
Dates of Internship:
July 2017-February 2018
- Meet photography mentor, David Lee in June 2017 to review and talk about photography.
- Go on tour of PS21 venue and facilities.
- Take photos throughout the Chatham Dance Festival (August 4-Sept 2). Take photos of the dance companies in rehearsal, workshops, and backstage.
- During the 2017 Dance Festival meet with David Lee once a week for an hour to review photos taken that week.
- In September and October meet with David Lee to discuss options for a public show of selected photos from the summer.Final project to be prepared and presented in February.
- The costs of the final project will be determined by the interns choice of what they choose for the final project e.g. galley showing, zine, interactive media, intern will be responsible for these final costs
- The internship will culminate in a final project which will be shared with the public.
- Project mentor and internship advisory committee will evaluate final project with student.
- Intern will own copyright on all of the photographs they take, but PS21 will be granted permission to use a select number of those photographs for publicity and archival purposes in perpetuity without a fee.
To apply contact PS21 Arts Education Coordinator
Arts Education Coordinator Melony Spock: firstname.lastname@example.org
or call the PS21 Office 518.392.6121